Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter was Awesome




As far as Easters go, it was a good one. The kids didn't turn their noses up at my homemade treats (Henny liked this bunny I made, and wanted to nurse on the button eyeballs), there was just a little bit of sugar to make it sweet, not too much sugar to make it psycho, and we spent the afternoon out at this new spot I found on Bull Creek, which is a little farther up 360 than where we usually go, and I think it's just heavenly. There's actually this wide flat expanse of rock bed with a thin sheet of water coursing over it and teeny tiny little fishies to chase, so perfect for little kids to splash around in, and then this sculpted slippery cliff you can ride down like a water slide into a deepish pool down below, and a rope swing as well if you're into that sort of thing. More my sort of thing is following the creek down as it meanders through little islands of rocks and huge gnarled sycamore roots and forms tiny little ponds and mini-waterfalls to play in, the sun shining gently down through the sycamore leaves so it's not even too sunblisteringly hot down there, quite dappled and shady, and this all surrounded by the kind of carved-in rock cliffs that are brilliant for climbing. I won't lie that I didn't have a heart attack at times about my kids scampering up and down but gee those boys are good climbers. I almost always have complete faith in their ability to gage the safety of a situation though sometimes even I felt faint when it was a long drop into a shallow pool down below.

After it all, we had supper at Waterloo Ice House on 360 right there. You can eat outside right next to a big playground and sand/dirt pile full of trucks and sand buckets and shovels. The food's not too excitingly great or anything but still it was one of the most painless dining out experiences we've had in the last 5 years, that's for sure.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

hey, you were near my 'hood!! that sounds strikingly similar to the place we tend to go on bull creek, but you'll have to tell me where this rope swing is?? definitely sounds like a fun easter to me!

Kami said...

yes it's fabulous up there! We will have to meet you and Will up there sometime. I will have to ask my husband how to describe where it is...