Thursday, January 8, 2009

Henrietta's baby journal




These kids of mine have three unbelievably awesome aunties on Matt's side ( and another awesome auntie on my side, though I see her altogether too seldom! Hi Nicole, I love you!) and they visited over the holidays. I asked them to write a little note to Henrietta in this (which is to my mind one of the best gifts ever you could get for a new mom, except for maybe these) and I wanted to share it here with you.

It just makes my heart swell. It's probably hard to read but Amy finishes it up by writing: "Today when I was holding you, I felt that you had a little fever and I was sad, I thought-- Oh no, my tiny little niece is sick-- and I realized I wish that I could protect you from everything. But since I can't, I'll just let you know that if you ever need someone to be with you when things hurt--- I'm here. Love from Aunt Amy."

This is what I want so much for my daughter... to have a circle of women, not just me, who care deeply about her, who support her, who have all sorts of different things to offer her... and it looks like that's what we've got. I feel so glad about that, and verklempt, and shout-out-loud proud... look at you little girl, only seven months old and we've already manifested together this amazing support system for you. What else are you going to bring about in your lifetime? I can't wait to see.

4 comments:

checkers said...

hey that is great to have the circle of strong woman, but why leave out the other half of the population who dig loving and being loved too.

Bernadette said...

Not leaving the other half out - just breaking away on occasion. We love the men you know. Especially the men like you who dig loving and being loved. There is a need, and indeed space in this world, for godmothers and godfathers too.

I love the idea of a 1000 day journal. I keep a journal for each of mine and write in it randomly to say the least. Sometimes 6 months goes by before an entry is made and then a random act will prompt an entry.

Kami said...

Thanks so much for saying that, checkers! And an uncle was here visiting too, and I left him out of this completely. And he was in the backyard the whole time playing with my boys being so fun and great. Thanks for giving me a little nudge... I've got two boys to raise, too, and I don't want them to miss out on any chances to love or be loved either!!

mama said...

So sweet to have folks write in there for her-lovely idea! I have this journal too- to jot down little things about the twins and then later I plan on putting it all in their own baby books! Its so hard to remember to write all the good stuff down.